15
Monday
October 2018
5:59 PM IST
News Headlines
Home   | Main News   | Kerala  | National   | International  | Business   | Sports   | Entertainment   | Columns   | Offbeat   | About Deepika 
International News
28 civilians killed in Syria, most in Russian air strikes
 
(Beirut, Jan 04, 2018):At least 28 civilians have been killed by bombardment in the besieged Syrian opposition stronghold of Eastern Ghouta, near Damascus, most of them in Russian air raids, a monitor said.

Nineteen were killed in Russian strikes in the town of Misraba yesterday, while the remainder died the same day in regime strikes and shelling in other areas, the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights said.

Seven children and 11 women were among those killed, according to the head of the Britain-based war monitor, Rami Abdel Rahman.

Victims were taken to a hospital in Douma, where an AFP correspondent saw rescuers bringing in mostly women and children.

Medical staff tried to revive an infant who had been pulled from the rubble, but without success. A young girl among the wounded received stitches for a serious injury to her face.

A medical source at the hospital told AFP: "Among the wounded were two women in their 20s. One of them lost both eyes and the other lost one eye."

Eastern Ghouta, one of the last remaining opposition strongholds in Syria, is controlled mostly by rebels from the Jaish al-Islam (Army of Islam) group.

It has been under government siege since 2013, causing severe food and medicine shortages for around 400,000 residents.

According to the Observatory, Russian-backed regime forces have increased their bombardment of the enclave in recent days in response to jihadists and rebels attacking regime positions near the town of Harasta.

The monitor relies on a network of sources inside Syria and says it determines whose planes carry out raids according to type, location, flight patterns and munitions used.

The bombardment comes despite Eastern Ghouta being one of four "de-escalation zones" agreed by Russia, as well as regime backer Iran and rebel supporter Turkey, to help halt fighting around Syria.

Jaish al-Islam leader Mohammed Alloush on Thursday accused the regime of preparing an assault on the opposition stronghold.

"The regime has been gathering its troops especially on our fronts for the past month to attack (Eastern) Ghouta," he told AFP.

The Al-Watan newspaper, which is close to the government, on Thursday said the army was gathering its troops on the outskirts of Harasta.

The war in Syria has killed more than 340,000 people and displaced millions from their homes since it began in 2011 with the brutal repression of anti-government protests.

The latest raids came after at least seven civilians, including five children, were killed Tuesday by air strikes in northwestern Idlib province, the last outside government control, the Observatory said.

Government and allied forces backed by Russian warplanes have been battling jihadist fighters and rebels for more than a week in an area straddling the boundary between Idlib and Hama provinces.

The government push on the edge of Idlib province -- also a "de-escalation zone" -- follows two months of sporadic fighting that the United Nations says has displaced more than 60,000 people.

Russia first launched bombing raids in 2015 in support of Syrian President Bashar al-Assad's forces. The strikes have helped Assad regain control over much of the war-ravaged country.

Russia's defence ministry on Thursday said two servicemen were killed in a mortar attack by Islamist militants at the Hmeimim airbase in northwestern Syria on New Year's Eve, but denied media reports seven military planes were destroyed.


Death Toll in Afghanistan Election Rally Blast Climbs to 22
Kabul voters wrestle with newspaper-sized ballot paper
Turkey has proof Saudi writer Jamal Khashoggi was killed: Report
Hurricane Michael in US kills 11
At least 31 dead after Uganda 'landslide': official
EU officials warned to prepare for no-deal Brexit
China hails Nikki Haley for maintaining dialogue with it at UN
Nikki Haley resigns as US Ambassador to UN
Not only banks, Nirav Modi also defrauded individuals with fake diamonds
China says former Interpol chief accepted bribes
50 killed, 100 burnt in oil tanker road crash in DR Congo: Official
Pompeo eyes progress over Trump-Kim summit on Asia trip
Khaleda Zia admitted to specialised state-run hospital
DR Congo's Dr Mukwege and Yazidi campaigner Murad win Nobel Peace Prize
Trump taps Indian-American to head nuclear energy division
Mattis: Russia violation of missile treaty 'untenable'
60 migrants feared drowned in Guinea-Bissau capsize
NYT accuses Trump of engaging in suspect tax schemes
US First Lady Melania Trump touches down in Africa
IAEA fends off Israel pressure over Iran
ENTERTAINMENT NEWS
Mohanlal's Odiyan: Official trailer launched
 Finally the wait is over. The much awaited Mohanlal film Odiyan's trailer has been released.
 
Mammootty narrates Odiyan's intro?
Sradha Kapoor as Saina Nehwal: First look poster is out.
Keerthy Suresh and Kalyani Priyadarshan joins Marakkar
KERALA NEWS
Sabarimala row: Protests against SC verdict continue
 Thiruvananthapuram: Members of the Opposition Congress and BJP in Kerala Friday staged demonstration
Balabhaskar's wife Lakshmi shifted to ICU
Idukki dam's one shutter opened
Eight pacts signed after Modi-Putin summit
NATIONAL NEWS
Goa Congress Calls Cabinet Meeting in AIIMS 'Desperate Drama', Demands Parrikar's Resignation
 (New Delhi, Oct 13, 2018): Accusing the BJP of acting "power hungry" in Goa, the Congress on
‘Flogging a dead horse’: BJP’s comeback on Rahul’s attack on Rafale
AG Venugopal favours Indu ruling on Sabarimala
I believe in all of them: Maneka Gandhi on #MeToo
Untitled Page
Rashtra Deepika LTD
Copyright @ 2018 , Rashtra Deepika Ltd.