17
Thursday
August 2017
3:13 PM IST
News Headlines
Home   | Main News   | Kerala  | National   | International  | Business   | Sports   | Entertainment   | Columns   | Offbeat   | About Deepika 
International News
Kidnapped Chibok girl doesn't want to return to the 'town of non-believers'
 
(May 13, 2017):Boko Haram late on Friday released a video claiming to show the Chibok schoolgirls who refused to be rescued as part of a recent swap deal with the Nigerian government.

In the three-minute video, a woman who claims to be Maida Yakubu, one of the schoolgirls kidnapped by Boko Haram in April 2014, is seen wearing a black veil and holding a gun.

Flanked by three other women clad in black, she proclaims her loyalty to Boko Haram, a jihadist group that has killed over 20,000 people since taking up arms against the Nigerian government in 2009.

When asked by a man in the background why she doesn't want to go back home to her parents, she replies: "the reason is that they live in the town of unbelief. We want them to accept Islam."

The woman then speaks in the local Chibok dialect for the rest of the video.

Last week, 82 schoolgirls who were kidnapped three years ago were released after negotiations between the terrorist group and the government.

Presidency spokesman Garba Shehu later disclosed that one girl had refused to leave.

She declined to be part of the release deal because she had married a Boko Haram fighter, Shehu said.

Analysts said it was likely others may have developed sympathies for their captors over time.

The Islamist militants seized 276 girls in April 2014, triggering global condemnation and drawing attention to the bloody insurgency.

Fifty-seven escaped in the immediate aftermath. Of the 219 who did not manage to flee, 106 have either been released or found, leaving 113 still missing.

Boko Haram released a second video on Friday claiming to show five commanders that the Nigerian government freed in exchange for the 82 Chibok girls.

In the video, a man who identifies himself as Abu Dardaa, or Money, says Boko Haram is back in Sambisa Forest and is preparing to bomb Nigeria's capital city of Abuja.

The threat comes as Nigeria opened another round of talks for the release of more kidnapped schoolgirls.

The Nigerian military said in December that it had ousted Boko Haram from their Sambisa Forest stronghold in northeastern Borno state.

While the jihadists have lost significant swathes of territory since Nigerian President Muhammadu Buhari came into power in 2015, they are still capable of launching deadly attacks on soldiers and continue to unleash suicide bombers in cities and camps for internally displaced people in Nigeria's ravaged northeast.(AFP)


US dollar ends marginally higher against rupee
PIO brutally beaten in New Zealand, critical
China rejects US criticism on religious freedom
US designates Hizbul Mujahideen as foreign terrorist group
Obama's Charlottesville tweet most liked tweet in history
Trump signs order to speed infrastructure construction
Modi, Trump agree to enhance peace across Indo-Pacific region
US wants India, China to have direct dialogue on their issues
UN removes last container holding Colombia rebel weapons
Trump holds his stand: Blames 'both sides' for Virginia
Nepal floods: Death toll reaches 80, about 35 Indians rescued
312 dead, 2,000 homeless as mudslides, flooding sweep Sierra Leone
Pakistan hoists 'largest' national flag to mark 70th I-Day
200 Indian tourists among 600 stranded due to Nepal floods
Xi urges Trump to exercise restraint on North Korea threat build-up
Satellite images show North Korea testing submarine missile
Kim Jong-Un will truly regret threats to US and allies: Trump
Amid Doklam standoff, Sushma Swaraj meets Bhutanese foreign minister
Nawaz Sharif's wife to contest from Lahore seat
Pakistan’s ‘Mother Teresa’ Dr Ruth Pfau dies
ENTERTAINMENT NEWS
Kochiites give warm welcome to Sunny Leone
 (Kochi, Aug 17, 2017, DG): Bollywood actress Sunny Leone was accorded a grand welcome when sh  
Daniel Craig to return as 'James Bond'
King Khan pays a visit to Dilip Kumar
'Honey Bee 2.5' to set a unique record in Mollywood
KERALA NEWS
Actress attack case: Remya Nambeesan's statement recorded
 (Kochi, Aug 17, 2017, DG): The investigation team probing the actress attack case has recorde
Suni shifted to Viyyur jail following attacks
Chandy behind Uzhavoor Vijayan's death, claims leader
Nisham makes threatening phone call from jail
NATIONAL NEWS
BJP MLA injured in stone-pelting by protesters in Samba
 Jammu, Aug 16 (PTI) A BJP MLA was injured when some angry persons pelted his cavalcade with stones i
Law ministry nod to Tamil Nadu ordinance on NEET
Bihar floods: Death toll rises to 72, 73.44 lakh people hit
Brinda Karat makes a case for legal backing of menstrual leave
Untitled Page
Rashtra Deepika LTD
Copyright @ 2017 , Rashtra Deepika Ltd.