March 2018
5:06 PM IST
News Headlines
Home   | Main News   | Kerala  | National   | International  | Business   | Sports   | Entertainment   | Columns   | Offbeat   | About Deepika 
Sports News
Injured Murray says likely to miss rest of season
London, Sep 6 (AFP) Britain's Andy Murray said on Wednesday he is unlikely to play again this season due to a nagging hip injury that forced him to pull out of the US Open.

Murray, recently nudged off the top of the world rankings by Spain's Rafael Nadal, has been struggling with the injury since a five-set French Open semi-final loss to Switzerland's Stan Wawrinka in June.

The 30-year-old Scot played at Wimbledon in July but lost in the quarter-finals to American Sam Querrey.

"Unfortunately, I won't be able to compete in the upcoming events in Beijing and Shanghai, and most likely, the final two events to finish the season in Vienna and Paris due to my hip injury which has been bothering me the last few months," the three-time Grand Slam champion said on his Facebook page.

"Having consulted with a number of leading hip specialists over the last week, along with my own team, we have decided that this is the best decision for my long-term future," the world number two said.

"Although this has been a frustrating year on court for many reasons, I'm confident after this extended period of rest and rehabilitation that I will be able to reach my best level again and be competing for Grand Slam titles next season.

"I will be beginning my 2018 season in Brisbane in preparation for the Australian Open."

Murray, who has won Wimbledon twice as well as the US Open, said he was looking forward to playing in Glasgow later in the year in a charity exhibition match against Roger Federer.

The Scot, who also has two Olympic titles under his belt, did not mention the ATP Finals in London in November but is currently ninth in the race to reach the eight-man tournament and missing events will further reduce his chances.

"I have a fantastic team working alongside me to help me through this process and appreciate the support from them and all of my fans over this difficult period," Murray wrote.

The men's game is currently beset by a glut of injuries to big-name players, with Wawrinka, Novak Djokovic, Kei Nishikori and Milos Raonic all missing from the ongoing US Open in New York.

Murray replaced Djokovic as world number one in November 2016 and held the top spot for 41 weeks before being replaced by Nadal last month.

Santosh Trophy: Kerala demolish Manipur 6-0, register second consecutive win
Kane Williamson piles records, misery on England
Soumyajit Ghosh provisionally suspended
Yuki Bhambri sets up Jack Sock meeting at Miami Open
Kane Williamson nears ton after Trent Boult ripped England apart
Serena Williams slump to first round exit in Miami Open
BCCI clears Mohammed Shami of corruption charges, okays Rs 3 crore contract
Mizoram stun favourites Goa 3-1 to start Santosh Trophy campaign in style
Do it immediately, Tendulkar urges Gadkari
Memory for a lifetime: Dinesh Karthik on last-ball six
Del Potro outlasts Federer to win Indian Wells title
Li Keqiang re-elected as China's Prime Minister for his second term
Dinesh Karthik hits last-ball six to take India to Nidahas tri-series trophy
Neymar is good but he is not ours, says Zinedine Zidane
PV Sindhu gives it all but bows out of All England Championships
Chennaiyin beat Bengaluru to claim 2nd ISL crown
World No. 1 Simona Halep crashes out of Indian Wells
PV Sindhu overcomes Nozomi Okuhara challenge to reach All England Badminton Championship semifinals
After angry outburst, Bangladesh beat Sri Lanka to play India in final
Champions League: Barcelona beats Chelsea 3-0, Messi reaches 100 league goals
Kannur accident: Manorama News journalist injured
 (Koothuparamba, Mar 24, 2018, DG): Four persons have been injured in a car-lorry crash at Kot  
Observe Earth Hour between 8.30 PM-9.30 PM Saturday, appeals Governor
IYD: Govt to take foreign Yoga professionals to Kerala
IS recruitment case: Woman operative sentenced to 7 years in jail
Three killed in France shooting; Islamic State claims responsibility
 (TREBES, Mar 23, 2018):Islamic State on March 23 claimed a shooting in the southwestern Frenc
Trump replaces McMaster, taps Bolton as national security adviser
EU blames Moscow for UK spy attack, recalls envoy
Asian markets tumble with Wall St as Trump sparks trade war fears
Shah sets target of 21 seats from northeast
 (Guwahati, Mar 24, 2018): Gearing up for the next general election, BJP President Amit Shah t
SC asks 12 states why they have not appointed Lokayukta
Bihar: Explosion in illegal firecracker unit kills 5
Air India crew member slaps junior for serving non-veg food to passenger
Untitled Page
Rashtra Deepika LTD
Copyright @ 2017 , Rashtra Deepika Ltd.